What do you need to know to support and manage your company and / or customer server environment with excellence?
I will relate the basics that everyone who manages network servers, have to know, to avoid stress, when machines decide to stop working, whether in the local computer network or wireless network, your company and / or your client.
1º) You must know the technical specification of the machine network server
– ie: have to know the type of motherboard, who is the manufacturer and model
– ie: you have to know the type of processor who is the manufacturer and the model
– ie: you have to know if the processor is Dual Core or Quad Core or Octa Core
2º) You have to know which is the operating system that will be used in the network server machine
– that is: you must know how to identify whether the operating system you will be using is 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64)
– the Microsoft Windows Server operating system is 64 bits since the 2008 version
– being the Linux operating system, it exists in 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
3º) You must know how to identify which database you will use on this server
– Microsoft SQL Server 2016 requires as minimum configuration that the motherboard is compatible with the Intel XEON Quad Core = 4-core processor.
4º) You must know how to identify which software will be used (32 bit or 64 bit version)
– remembering that the 32-bit (x86) operating system does not support 64-bit (x64) applications.
– remembering that drivers made for the 32-bit (x86) operating system do not work on 64-bit (x64).
5) When installing the operating system, the computer-name must be different from the machine-DNS-name and must be different from the working-group-name.
– remembering that there can be no duplicity of machine name, nor duplicity of IP addressing, within the same local computer network or wireless network. When there is duplicity of machine-name or duplicity of IP addressing, something always stops working on the network.
In 2016, I’ve discussed this topic in some texts within the Microsoft TechNet Forum a few months ago.
By Ana Mercedes Gauna (08/30/2016)
Senior Systems Analyst | Project Management | MCSE | CCNA2
CRA-RJ: 03-03161 | ABRAWEB: 66132 | ABRACEM: Q27795